Statement of City Attorney Norman Sales Announcing his Retirement

City Attorney Norman Sales issued the following statement today:

"It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement from the city of Richmond, effective December 31, 2009.

"It has been my pleasure and privilege to serve in the City Attorney’s office for more than 20 years and over the last four years as City Attorney. It goes without saying that I have many memories, accomplishments, challenges, and successes that will be indelibly etched as part of the fabric of my life forever. I have great affection for the city of Richmond and its citizens. My work with the city will always be a source of pride and satisfaction for me.

"I want to be clear that my decision to retire at this time has no relation to any matters previously or now before Council for consideration and also has no bearing on my relationship with the current or any past administration. Indeed, I feel that my current relationship with the City Council and the Jones Administration has been a cordial and productive one. My decision to retire at this time is purely personal. For me, for my career, and for my family, the time has come for a change. While I have great affection for the city of Richmond, I am simply entering a new phase of my own life and believe this is the proper time for me to retire.

"I owe a great debt of gratitude to Council members and other city leaders with whom I have worked over the years. They have taught me a great deal. They placed a great amount of confidence in me and allowed me to grow as a professional. This time has been among the most personally and professionally rewarding experiences of my life and one that I will always treasure."

Contat: Norman Sales, (804) 646-7969