Mayor tests positive for COVID-19



State of the City postponed until February 11


Mayor Levar M. Stoney today announced that he has tested positive for the coronavirus.

 

The mayor was informed of the result this morning after undergoing a PCR test following the onset of mild symptoms Monday.

 

“Since the coronavirus first started to spread in our region roughly a year ago, over 12,000 residents in our city have been infected with COVID-19. Today, I count myself as one of them,” the mayor said. “While I do not feel 100 percent, I am thankful that my symptoms are currently manageable and will continue to work from my home to ensure the continuity of city government.”

 

Per CDC guidelines, the mayor will isolate at home. Those persons considered contacts have been informed and are quarantining and taking the necessary precautions to keep themselves and those around them protected and healthy.

 

“As my personal experience should tell you, while there is reason to be hopeful due to the distribution of the vaccine, this pandemic is still far from over and must be taken seriously,” the mayor said.

 

As a result, the mayor’s annual State of the City address scheduled for this Thursday, January 28 has been postponed and will now virtually take place on Thursday, February 11.

 

“I look forward to sharing with all of you my vision for moving the city boldly forward in the coming year, and beyond,” the mayor stated.


##